In early 2007, I took a book-making class.
I found that I didn't like working with glue,
but I did enjoy the sewing of parts of the books together.
I needed some strong cover stock to work with.
I'd begun painting with watercolors in the late 1990s,
later incorporating ink and, occasionally, other watermedia.
By 2007, in addition to having a good collection
of successful paintings, I had also collected a stack
of unsuccessful paintings and painting fragments
that I couldn't bring myself to paint over, destroy,
or recycle because I kept thinking I would find something
to do with them. And I did: Those unsuccessful
paintings and fragments turned out to make very
successful journal covers.
My journals are made entirely from acid-free materials
and are sewn together with linen thread.
Most of the books have 60-64 pages.
The covers are 100% cotton rag acid-free quality watercolor paper.
I started out as a writer and artist
and morphed into an artist and writer,
and I always have in the back of my mind
the idea of somehow combining those two passions.
So it's been great fun to write in journals that I've
made myself from my own artwork.